18th June 2021 [HCD7366]
Norwegian singer, songwriter and folk musician Lillebjørn Nilsen and Andy had known each other for about 17 years when they met at the Telemark Festival back in 1994, what they both had dreamt about became a reality. Their collaboration resulted in an exhilarating concert. The live recording is finally released as an album in June 2021!
If it hadn't been for the invitation from the Telemark Festival, 17 more years might have gone by but as Lillebjørn says at the concert "We got together this summer when I visited Dublin, but decided that there was no rush to practise since we had so much to talk about. Today was the first time we really sat down and went through our material." before starting with one of his own songs, “Danse, ikke gråte nå”.
The album is filled with a superb variety of songs, both serious and humorous, characterised by two performers in top form. Norwegian and Irish folk music suit each other admirably. "We were on the same wavelength from the moment we met" Andy also said back then. And that Saturday this common wavelength gave the audience an unforgettable experience.
The two troubadours complement each other perfectly, musically as well as thematically. When Lillebjørn Nilsen sings about the Norwegian emigrant who became The Girl in Chicago, Andy counters with the homesick Irish emigrant in Indiana.
Lillebjørn Nilsen has in total five Spellemannspriser (Norwegian Grammy´s) both as a solo artist and as a part of bigger groups. He is often mentioned as Norway’s “Folk King”. He played guitar for my song “Oslo” and following tune “Norwegian Mazurka” with Annbjørg Lien on my album “Abocurragh” in 2010.
Lillebjørn Nilsen: vocal, guitar, willow flute and hardanger fiddle
Andy Irvine: vocal, mandola, bouzouki and harmonica
1. Jenta i Chicago (The Girl in Chicago) - 04:17
2. Come to the Bower - 04:45
3. Alexander Kiellands Plass - 03:15
4. Stewball and the Monaghan Grey Mare - 03:53
5. Hav og himmel (Ocean and Sky) - 04:19
6. My Heart’s Tonight in Ireland - 03:34
7. Valle Auto og Bensin (The Gas Station Song) - 03:35
8. A Prince Among Men - 04:23
9. Danse ikke gråte nå (Dance Do Not Weep) - 02:19
10. Fort gjort å glemme (Easy to forget it) - 03:44
11. Patrick Street/Jig: The Humours of Caherlistane/Halling: The Girl with the Farm - 05:09
12. Vidvinkel-stev (The Photographers) - 02:21
13. Håvar Hedde/Jig: Strike the Gay Harp - 05:14
14. Martinmas Time/Hornpipe: The Little Stack of Wheat - 04:48
15. Ola Tveiten (The Road Builder) - 03:40